ULYSSE NARDIN LOCLE & GENEVE SWISS CHRONO CRONOGRAPH
UTILIZED BY JAPANESE NAVY AND CARRIER AIRFORCES
The Origin of the Seiko-sha Full-Sized Marine Chronometer , Pocket Chronometer Watch & Pocket Chronograph Pocket Watch
IN 1938 Naval Commander Ryouichi Sugiyama approached Kintarou Hattori about producing a domestic chronometer, but Hattori declined.By 1939, Britain and France declared war on Germany, and in 1941 Japan entered the war. Japanese warships needed a good supply of marine chronometers. Daini-Seiko-sha [seikosha] began in earnest to develop their marine chronometer. Daini-Seiko-sha engineers had to research metals and metal processing before a formal request from naval headquarters was made. A team was formed from experts in several fields and the group began developing the chronometer as well as experimenting with temperature-compensating balance springs. Hattori then delivered boxes of Ulysse Nardin two-day Chronometers, Pin-Set Chronograph Pocket Watches and Chronograph Rattrapante Spit Second Pocket Watches to the team. As it was the Japanese Navy was already engaged on the high seas using these Ulysse Nardin time pieces. In the midst of this all this action, full-scale production of a Japanese Marine Chronometers began in 1942 based on Ulysse Nardin designs. By 1943 production was moved to Sendai, for safety from the heavy bombing of Tokyo by B-29 bombers. The Seiko chronometers were based upon the Ulysse Nardin two-day chronometer and the Pocket Chronographs were either the Ulysse Nardin Pocket Chronographs that HATTORI possessed or those made likr them by the Japanese. In fact the Japanese designs were absolutely identical. to Ulysse Nardin. Yiou could remove the movements and place them in Ulysse Nardin cases or vice verse, and, most parts were interchangeable–some required minor adaption, .
ULYSSE NARDIN LOCLE & GENEVE
NOTE THID IS A 1938 WWII MODEL WITH PIN SET HANDS
THIS IS AN EARLY HATTORI SEIKO-SHA PURCHASED PIN SET
ULYSSE NARDIN LOCLE & GENEVE POCKET WATCH CHRONOGRAPH
100% ULYSSE NARDIN LOCLE & GENEVE
DUAL HINGED CASE BACK
ABSOLUTE UTILIZED IN WWII
The United States Navy‘s Bureau of Ships (BuShips) was established by Congress on June 20, 1940, by a law which consolidated the functions of the Bureau of Construction and Repair and the Bureau of Engineering. The new bureau was to be headed by a chief and deputy-chief, one selected from the Engineering Corps (Marine Engineer) and the other from the Construction Corps (Naval Architect). The chief of the former Bureau of Engineering, Rear Admiral Samuel M. “Mike” Robinson, was named BuShips’ first chief, while the former chief of the Bureau of Construction & Repair, Rear Admiral Alexander H. Van Keuren, was named as BuShips’ first Deputy-Chief. The bureau’s responsibilities included supervising the design, construction, conversion, procurement, maintenance, and repair of ships and other craft for the navy; managing shipyards, repair facilities, laboratories, and shore stations; developing specifications for fuels and lubricants; and conducting salvage operations.After 1947, BuShips purchased ships for the Departments of the Army and the Air Force, coordinated Department of Defense (DOD) shipbuilding activities, and coordinated navy repair and conversion programs with other federal agencies.
ELGIN MILITARY TIMER
U.S. NAVY BU SHIPS
SER NO. 1848
BLACK MILITARY WHEELS
15 JEWELS IS AMAZING
MOST MILITARY TIMERS HAD 7
ELGIN JITTER BUG A-8
NAVIGATION TIMER HAD 15-17
MILITARY ARTILLERY AND EVENT TIMER WITH PATENTED “J” BRIDGE AND SLIDE RETURN TDC
Gallet is the world’s oldest watch and clock making house with history dating back to Humbertus Gallet, a clock maker who became a citizen of Geneva in 1466. The Gallet & Cie (Gallet & Company) name was officially registered by Julien Gallet (1806–1849) in 1826, who moved the family business from Geneva to La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland. Prior to this date, operations commenced under the name of each of the family patriarchs.
1864 – Léon Gallet’s brother Lucien Gallet establishes the company’s first US location in Chicago, with a New York City office following soon after. Together with Jules Racine, a cousin of the Gallet brothers living in the US, the company expands its distribution to the American market. and backed Excelsior Park
Jeanneret and Fils created Usine du Parc, by 1890 the company is called Alb and produces anchor watches from 13 to 24 lines, calendar watches and chronographs under the trademarks Colombe and Diana.In 1894 the factory is renamed Jeanneret Frères and produces chronographs. On March 21th 1891 a sport stopwatch called “Excelsior” is patented by Alb. Jeanneret et Frères, it has a movement side bridge in the shape of J; which l becomes a trademark for Excelsior Park. By 1902, the company is named of Jeanneret-Brehm and Co and sells s stopwatches under the Excelsior trademark.
In 1911 Jeaneret -Brehm & Co, along with Gallet, introduce two button (Crown Push and Side Pusher) and Henri Jeanneret-Brehm, a member of the esteemed Jeanneret family of St. Imier watchmakers, purchases the Magnenat-Lecoultre factory with financial assistance from the Gallet company. By 1918, The Jeanneret-Brehm company becomes Excelsior Park and offers stopwatches and chronographs .
1918 – Jeanneret-Brehm begins manufacturing under the company name Excelsior Park. Deriving the name from Jenneret-Brehm’s previously registered “Excelsior” trademark, the English variation of the French word for “park” is utilized at the prompting of Gallet to support the collaborative efforts of the two companies in their marketing focus on the American consumer. Beginning in the 1920’s, Excelsior Park concentrates exclusively on the stopwatches and chronographs. In 1921 a patent concerning a bolt, independent of the push-piece crown for starting timing, allowing the stopping of the hand, is filed. On May 24th, 1922, Excelsior Park patents a small housing inside a movement to place spare parts. That will become also a kind of trademark, making possible instantaneously to recognize an Excelsior Park movement.