TONS OF AWESOME HISTORY
THE LIFE & MILITARY TIMES OF
SGT A.R. "AL" SHEAMORE
145th Infantry Regiment
1917 - 1921
BOXED INSURED USA WITH SIGNATURE
SIGNATURE INSURED FEDEX INTERNATIONAL
LASER AND PIN POINT USED TO BRING OUT THE INFO
ABOVE IS FROM THE SOFTWARE WHICH SHOWS ONLY THE ORIGINAL
NOTE CAMP LEE VIRGINIA AND 145TH INFANTRY REGIMENT
YEARS 1917/1918. WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT IS IN THE HISTORY
OF THE 145TH INFANTRY REGIMENT WORLD WAR ONE
A R. "AL" SHEAMORE
CAMP LEE VIRGINIA FINAL TRAINING
The 145TH was the old 5th Ohio Infantry. Colonel
Charles X. Zimmerman, commanding officer since 1899
was replaced in 1917 by Colonel A. W. Davis, who commanded the Regiment for a few months
until he was succeeded later in the same year (1917) by Colonel S. B. Stanbery. Colonel
Stanbery was in turn followed in 1918 by Colonel Frank C. Gerlach.
The 145th trained at Camp Sheridan, five
miles outside Montgomery, Alabama until May 1918. The Regiment was then moved to a staging
area at Camp Lee, Virginia, and later to the Hoboken (New Jersey) Port of
Embarkation. It sailed on its first oversees duty June 8,
1918, destined for action in France and Belgium, and additional service in Germany.
B. Lorraine Operations (Baccarat)
The 145th Infantry arrived at Brest, France, on June 22, 1918. The
American Expeditionary Force in France at this time was engaged in training and
construction work, with some units holding a quiet sector near Balfert, not far from the
French-Swiss Frontier. The 145th Infantry moved promptly to the Bourmont Area (Haute Marne
Department), east of Paris, where it engaged in intensive training for about a month.
On July 22, 1918 it was ordered with the
37th Division to the Baccarat Sector, in the Vosges Mountains about 30 miles southeast of
Nancy. There it was attached to the French VI Corps, French Eighteenth Army. The 145th
Infantry first entered the front line trenches on August 4, 1918, in the Baccarat Sector. The
fighting for the most part consisted of raids and patrol work. This tour of duty lasted
about six weeks, and came to an end on September 16. C. Meuse-Argonne Offensive Upon
relief from the Baccarat Sector, the 145th Infantry, with the rest of the 37th Division,
moved to the U.S. First Army area, taking station at Recicourt (Meuse Department),
westward from its previous station, on September 21, 1918. It was now attached to the U.S.
V Army Corps. More than four years of bloody and terrible
fighting over Belgium and northeastern France had resulted in a deadlock between Germany
and the Allied Nations.
On September 26 the last great Allied offensive of the war began in the
Meuse- Argonne Forest area. It was this attack that started the Germans on their final
retreat leading to collapse. On September 23 the 37th Division relieved the 79th Division
in the Avocourt Sector. The 145th Infantry was initially in the 37th Division reserve in
the Montfaucon-Avocourt area. When the Meuse-Argonne Offensive started the regiment moved
into the front line. In this battle the 145th Infantry
distinguished itself in the capture of Montfaucon, an action so heroic that it has been
commemorated in the Regimental Coat of Arms by a falcon, representing the town which bears
the name Falcon Mountain, or Montfaucon.
Following the Monfaucon action the 145th Infantry was relieved on October
1, 1918, returning to the vicinity of Recicourt (Meuse Department), where it remained for
two days. On October 3 the Regiment moved to the U.S. Second Army Area and was attached to
the U.S. IV Corps. On October 7 it relieved an infantry regiment of the 89th Division in
the Pannes Sector, and remained in the front line for ten days, until relieved by a
regiment of the 28th Division on October 16, 1918. D. Ypres-Lys Far to the northwest, near
the English Channel, a new allied offensive was in progress.
The Regiment moved on October 18 to the
Ypres Area, in western Belgium, arriving on October 21. In this sector the regiment
participated in two major attacks. With the 37th Division it was attached
to the Army Of France in Belgium, being assigned to the French XXX Corps on October 28.
The 145th served with this French Corps until November 7 when it was assigned to the
French XXXIV Corps. Here it took part in the Ypres-Lys offensive.
It made the historic crossing of the
Escault-Scheldt River which is symbolized in Regimental insignia by the wavy blue line
representing the river. The 37th and the 91st were the only American Divisions to fight in
Belgium, and the 145th Infantry once more distinguished itself in this action.
With the Armistice on November 11, 1918, a selected group form the
Regiment made a formal entry into Brussels, capitol city of Belgium. While there King Albert of Belgium sent a barrel of whiskey to the Regiment as a
token of friendship. This was followed by a formal entry inot
Aix-la-Chapell, or Aachen, Germany, where the 145h Infantry first set foot on German soil.
The Regiment upon being relieved by other units, hiked back to France. Further training
was combined with preparations for the journey back to the United States. In late March,
1919, the Regiment sailed from France for America.
It had completed nine months of overseas
service and earned three battle streamers for participation in three major operations,
Lorraine, Mouse-Argonne, and Ypres-Lys.
THE POST CARD
IS THE OPOSITE SIDE ON THE PICTURE OF AL. WHICH CAN BE REMOVED
NOTE DEJON IS PART OF THIS FRENCH MAP. THIS IS NOT A PHOTO
COPY MAP. IT IS ORIGINAL
Dijon Air Base (French: Base
aérienne 102 Dijon, IATA: DIJ, ICAO: LFSD) is a Front-line French Air Force (French:
Armée de l'Air air base. The base is located approximately 2 miles (3.2 km)
east-southeast of Longvic; about 165 miles (266 km) southeast of Paris is one of the
oldest of the Armée de l'Air, being established in 1914, having origins beginning in
September 1910 as a civil airdrome.Through both 20th Century World Wars, the Cold War, and
numerous crisis.Dijon Air Base is one of the oldest of the Armée de l'Air, being
established in 1914, Units from the base fought in World War I
In February 1918, Patton established the
AEF's Light Tank School at Bourg, located five miles from Langres on the road to Dijon.
Lacking tanks at the outset, Patton and his men were forced to make do with plywood
mockups complete with a turret armed with a Hotchkiss 8mm machine gun. the entire
contraption was mounted on a rocking device used to simulate movement over rough terrain
while a trainee fired at a fixed target. It wasn't until March 23 that the unit received
its first shipment of ten 7.4-ton Renault light tanks, with another fifteen following in
The largest American advance supply depot
was near Dijon. Formerly a great marsh, the tracks and warehouses were built by the A.E.F.
Advance Supply Depot No. 1, Is-sur-Tille, 1918/19 . There was also a U.S. Motor Overhaul
Park near Dijon. Small dots are motor cars and trucks in repair, Motor Overhaul Park,
Dijon, February 12, 1919.
General Pershing (second from left) decorates
Brigadier General MacArthur (third from left)
with the Distinguished Service Cross.
Biscuit dough was rolled and biscuits
punched and baked then packed for shipment at Dijon, France. On 9 December, the AEF 11th
units began an eight-day march to rejoin the 6th Division near Dijon, where it remained
for five months before reporting to Brest to begin the journey home. The mens
feelings of depression and homesickness were changed to pride on 10 April, 1919, when
General Pershing personally decorated the 11ths colors and pinned Distinguished
Service Crosses on several men of the regiment.
PURE WOOL LEATHER STRAPS
SHOW USE. THESE AR NOT STANDARD WWI MILITARY BUT
WERE UTILIZED BY OFFICERS AND BY NON COMS IN DRESS UNIFORM
THE MAP IN THIS
BOX WAS CREATED 1913. IT WAS USED IN 1914 THROUGH 1918 BY
THE NON COM WHO OWNED THE TELESCOPE/SNIPER SCOPE, SPATS, MAP , GERMAN KNIFE,
THE PICTURE OF FRENCH SOLDIERS [NOT A COPY] AND THE WATCH. WE HAVE A BOX FULL OF ITEMS
SEE "DIJON" ABOVE UNDER SPATS TO
NOTE THE DETAIL ABOVE
THEN LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THE WORD "DIJON"
ABOVE WITH SPATS AND THE ABOVE CAMERA ENLARGED
HAMILTON MAP GUAGE USED IN WWI AND WWII
THIS WATCH IS A PIN LEVER INGRAHAM
OWNED BY "AL"
IT WAS A VERY POPULAR BRAND FOR THE COMMON MAN
AND FOR ENLISTED SOLDIERS IN WRISTS AND POCKETS
BUT IT WAS WWI THAT WOULD LAUNCH THE INGRAHAM
IN THE 1920'S/1930'S BY THE LITERAL MILLIONS
ANTIQUE VINTAGE GERMAN SOLINGEN
"ARNEX HORSES AT WORK"
NOTE THE PLOW AND CARRIAGE
DISCOVERED IN THE BOX WITH AL'S BELONGINGS
NOT A SE ASIA REMAKE
BLADES WERE USED
BUT THEY ARENOW IN PRIME CONDITION
RE-SHARPENED AS FROM THE FACTORY
NO NOTICABLE SHRINKAGE OR SIZE ALTERATION
JUST PROFESSIONALLY RESTORED
ORIGINAL SOLINGEN AND ARNEX SIGNATURES
WERE NOT TOUCHED, ONLY THE BLADE ESDGES
THEN POLISHED TO ORIGINAL 1ST DAY COND
THE United States Army Ordnance Corps is a Sustainment
branch of the United States Army, headquartered at Fort Lee, Virginia. SINCE THE ACIVIL
WAR, The broad mission of the Ordnance Corps is to supply Army combat units with
weapons and ammunition, including at times their procurement and maintenance. Along with
the Quartermaster and Transportation Corps, it forms a critical component of the U.S. Army
logistics system. The U.S. Army Ordnance Corps mission is to support the development,
production, acquisition, and sustainment of weapon systems, ammunition, missiles,
electronics, TIMERS AND OTHER LIKE EQIPMENT, and ground mobility material during
peace and war to provide combat power to the U.S. Arm
World War I
At the start of World War I, the Ordnance Department was
"charged with supplying the Army with arms, equipment, and ammunition
establishing and maintaining arsenals and depots for the manufacture, repair, and
safe-keeping of ordnance, and provide horse equipments and field outfits for Soldiers,
such as canteens, tin cups, knives, forks, and spoons". The Ordnance Department
mobilized the United States industrial base, jointly developed weapons with European
allies, and established overseas supply depots [ONE IN DIJON FRANCE] and Ordnance
training facilities. In 1919, testing was moved from Sandy Hook Proving Ground to the
Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland.
First Army organized, August 10, 1918, implementing General
Order 12, Headquarters AEF, July 24, 1918. 1st division was the most experienced of 9
divisions. The 1st would participate in the Battle of Cantigny- 28-31 May 1918-
The first American battle and offensive of 1ST DIVISION included spotters for artillery.
On the date, Sgt James Hartwood of Chicago had in his possession a MARLBOROW SPLIT
SECOND CHRONOGRAPH TIMER. This timer was marked front and rear as belonging to the united
states and the ordinence dept.It is/was the most advanced and costly timer with rotation
counter and two rotating hands. It had a button stop side case and another in the crown.
At approximately 4pm on that first day, Sgt Hartwood had stood to take a time count and
then placed the timer in his left top pocket, as he turned to jump into a trench a shell
hit and nocked him 10 feet from where he was before. Dazed on the ground when a medic
appeared and severalo men lifted Hartwood to get him to the hospital tent.
6 days after the near death experience he awoke to
dicover he had sustained minor injuries. That the physical shock to his brain was what
worried the doctors. And, the doctor pulled somthing from a box. It was small and looked
like a opicket watch. the front was tore up. The back buolging from pressure of what was
left of the movement. It was the timer. He had received a piece of steel fragment goig so
fast it deastroted the frome bezsel, dial, had been stopped by the movement. Had this not
occurred he would be dead. His heart would have cesed to be.14 days in the tent infirmary
he was back with the 1st. He was supplied with a new timer and he forgot about it. Then,
several weeks later, the doctorhad told the story and it was every where.. normally one
cannot keep an item belonging to Uncle Sam. But one evening his Captain called him over
and presented him with the timer. it had a dial hands and a case abnd case back. the
movement was gne, the case back restored and a glass was placed ove the dial. The timer
was so damaged he convinced the upper officers. This timer is that timer. I could place a
movement in it but decised to keep as it was sent to me.
HANDS SHOWING PLUS COUNTER
GALLET SPLIT SECONDS CHRONO
Gallet is the
worlds oldest watch and clock making house with history dating back to Humbertus
Gallet, a clock maker who became a citizen of Geneva in 1466. The
Gallet & Cie (Gallet & Company) name was officially registered by Julien Gallet
(18061849) in 1826, who moved the family business from Geneva to La Chaux-de-Fonds,
Switzerland. Prior to this date, operations commenced under the name of each of the family
patriarchs. Gallet is best known
during the 20th century to the present day for its line of MultiChron chronograph
wristwatches. Produced primarily for military, industrial, and other professional
applications, Gallets MultiChron watches often incorporated a number
of advanced timekeeping innovations.
A Gallet timepiece of particular renown was the Flight Officer time zone
chronograph. Commissioned by Senator Harry S. Truman in 1939 for pilots of the United
States Army Air Forces, the Flight Officer (a.k.a. Flying Officer) had a rotating 12 hour
bezel and the names of 48 major world cities printed on the periphery of the dial (face).
These features made it possible to calculate changes in the time as an aviator flew across
lines of longitude. Besides being the first time zone calculating wristwatch, the Flight
Officer was one of the worlds first wrist chronographs to be housed in a water
resistant case. Truman wore a Gallet Flight Officer during his terms as 33rd president
(19451953). Léon Gallet set his sights on the rest of the world markets.
In 1864, Léon's brother, Lucien Gallet (18341879),
established the company's first US location in Chicago with a New York City office
following soon after. Together with Jules Racine, a cousin of the Gallet brothers
living in the US, the company began its
expansion into the American market.
When the worldwide economic downturn of the 1930s caused international trade to
plunge by as much as two-thirds, it suddenly became unprofitable for the Gallet Company to
continue production of many of its recently established brands. Gallet chose
instead, to consolidate its efforts back into its primary area of expertise, that of the
manufacture of high quality professional-use timepieces. Under the family
name, the Gallet Company continued to flourish by providing hand-held timers and chronograph wristwatches to allied military and
industrial clients during the years leading up to and through World
War II. A wartime Gallet timepiece of particular renown was the
Flight Officer time-zone chronograph (1939 - present). Commissioned by Senator Harry S.
Trumans senatorial staff in 1939 for the United States Army Air Force, this
wristwatch made it possible to calculate changes in the time as a pilot flew across lines
FURTHER, GALLET WAS A MAJOR PARTNER & BACKER
WITH HIS NEPHEW
JULES RACINE. JULE'S UNCLE TURNED THE NAME AROUND :
ENICAR WATCH CO
1864 - Léon Gallet's brother Lucien Gallet establishes the
company's first US location in Chicago, with a New York City office following soon after
Together with Jules Racine, a cousin of the Gallet brothers living in the US, the company
expands its distribution to the American market.
GALLET WAS A MAJOR PARTNER & BACKER
WITH EXCELSIER PARK;
Jeanneret and Fils created Usine du Parc, by 1890 the company is
called Alb and produces anchor watches from 13 to 24 lines, calendar watches and
chronographs under the trademarks Colombe and Diana.In 1894 the factory is renamed
Jeanneret Frères and produces chronographs. On March 21th 1891 a sport stopwatch
called Excelsior is patented by Alb. Jeanneret et Frères, it has a movement
side bridge in the shape of J; which l becomes a trademark for Excelsior Park
By 1902, the company is named of
Jeanneret-Brehm and Co and sells s stopwatches under the Excelsior trademark.
In 1911 Jeaneret -Brehm & Co, along with Gallet,
introduce two button (Crown Push and Side Pusher) and Henri Jeanneret-Brehm, a member of
the esteemed Jeanneret family of St. Imier watchmakers, purchases the Magnenat-Lecoultre
factory with financial assistance from the Gallet company.
By 1918, The Jeanneret-Brehm company becomes Excelsior Park and
offers stopwatches and chronographs .
1918 Jeanneret-Brehm begins manufacturing under the
company name Excelsior Park. Deriving the name from Jenneret-Brehms previously
registered Excelsior trademark, the English variation of the French word for
park is utilized at the prompting of Gallet to support the collaborative
efforts of the two companies in their marketing focus on the American consumer. Beginning
in the 1920's, Excelsior Park concentrates exclusively on the stopwatches and
chronographs. In 1921 a patent concerning a bolt, independent of the push-piece crown for
starting timing, allowing the stopping of the hand, is filed. On May 24th, 1922,
Excelsior Park patents a small housing inside a movement to place spare parts. That will
become also a kind of trademark, making possible instantaneously to recognize an Excelsior
RUNS & SETS & WINDS
WITH YOUR INVESTMENT YOU RECEIVE:
c)950.00 PROFESSIONAL INSURANCE **APPRAISAL
APPRAISALS ARE STORED ON A GSW DEDICATED SERVER APPRAISAL
WEBSITE WHERE YOU MAY DOWN-LOAD, COPY-TO OR FORWARD TO YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OR
JEWELERS MUTUAL ONLINE 24/7