APPRAISALS ARE STORED ON A GOLDSMITHWORKS.COM DEDICATED SERVER APPRAISAL. YOU MAY DOWN-LOAD, COPY-TO OR FORWARD TO YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OR JEWELERS MUTUAL ONLINE 24/7. FOR INFO: 800 438 6894 – 770.831.1257 – GOLDSMITHWATCHWORKS.COM GOLDSMITHWORKS.COM MILITARYWATCHBOX.COM TIMEFRAUD.COM VINTAGETIMEREMADEINAMERICA.COM GOLDSMITHTRAINING.COM
|Description of item: S/R 2 MWB 1962-1972 NAVY SEALS MARINE AIR CORPS SOUTH VIETNAMESE RIVER RATS SOUTH VIETNAM NAVY SEALS SOUTH VIETNAM NAVY AC-47 VIETNAM ERA MILITARY WATCH BOX
Estimated Retail Replacement Value $1453.99
|Reports are supplied at the request of the customer and it is for the customer’s exclusive use. Reports express an opinion of the time of the examination of the jewelry. This report is for customers use only for the following two purposes, indicating estimated retail replacement value to obtain insurance coverage, or for the purpose of providing geological information. goldsmith Works does not guarantee that the appraisal valuation will result in a sale at the price. Estimated retail replacement value is arrived after analyses of what the approximate high retail cash asking price is for labor, materials, and design. These prices may be substantially higher than actual transaction or warranty with regards to any item described in the report, since jewelry grading is not an exact science, this report represent the best opinion of the company. GoldSmith Works is in no case responsible for differences that occur by repeated grading by other experts in the field and/or use of other standards, norms, methods or criteria other than those used by GoldSmith Works. GoldSmith Works is expressly held harmless by customers including, but with out limitation for any claims or actions that may arise out of negligence in connection with the preparation of this laboratory report, or actions based upon the customer’s use of the report. The information on the carat weight, clarity grade, color grade on the report is approximate due to the limitations in jewelry grading. The item was tested, graded, and examined under 10x magnification using the techniques and equipment available to GoldSmith Works, including fully corrected triplet loupe, binocular microscope, master color comparison guides, diamond color comparison tools, electronic carat balance, non-contact optical measuring device, and ancillary instruments necessary at the time of Exam|
THIS S/R 2 MWB MILITARY WATCH BOX IS THE ASSOCIATE TO THE SEAL/RIVERRAT MILITARY WATCH BOX 1. THIS BOX INCLUDES A PERSONAL SIGNED RING THAT BELONGED TO A SEAL ADVISOR, 4 PATCHES INCLUDING THOSE OF THE SEAL/GREEN BERET CLOSE AIR SUPPORT UNITS AND THE MAIN VIETNAMESE FORCES THE SEALS AND GREEN BRERETS TAINED ADVISED AND FOUGHT WITH AND. INCLUDES THREE ROUNDS OF WWII/KOREA AMMUNITION FIRST USED IN VIETNAM 1961 TO 64 FOR SNIPER RIFLES USED BY BOTH SPECIAL FORCES GROUOPS. NOTE THE CHARGES ARE REMOVED BUT FIRING CAPS REMAIN.
MARINE AIR CORPS
SOUTH VIETNAMESE RIVER RATS
SOUTH VIETNAM NAVY SEALS
SOUTH VIETNAM NAVY
MILITARY WATCH BOX
SILVER AND GOLD RING
BELONGING TO A NAVY ADVISOR
A 34 YEAR OLD MARINE CORP BUCKLE
U.S. Navy SEALS
(Sea, Air & Land)
VIETNAMESE WATER WAY AND RIVER FORCES
48 SEALS WERE KILLED IN ACTION OR CAPTURED AND NEVER HEARD FROM
SEALS served FOR TEN YEARS in Vietnam, between 1962 and 1972, primarily in the Mekong Delta. Operating in seven man teams, they were typically well camouflaged and carried a tremendous amount of firepower. In addition to their offensive operations, Seals also trained and advised their Vietnamese counterparts, the Lien Doc Nguoi Nhian[SOUTH VIETNAMESE NAVY SEALS] and supported LDNN coastal missions in North Vietnam.
The Seals fearsome appearance and extraordinary combat success prompted the Viet Cong to nickname them “Devils with Green Faces”. Three Navy Seals were awarded the Medal of Honor for their actions in Vietnam: Joseph Kerrey, Thomas Norris and Michael Thornton.
By 1970, President Richard Nixon initiated a Plan of Vietnamization, which would remove the US from the Vietnam War and return the responsibility of defense back to the South Vietnamese. Conventional forces were being withdrawn; the last SEAL adviser, left Vietnam in March 1973 and Vietnam fell to the communists in 1975.
The Seals were among the highest decorated units for their size in the war, receiving 2 Navy Crosses, 42 Silver stars, 402 Bronze Stars, 2 Legions of Merit, 352 Commendation Medals, 3 Presidential Unit Citations and 3 Medals of Honor. By the end of the war, 48 Seals had been killed in Vietnam, but estimates of their kill count are as high as 2,000. The Navy SEAL Museum in Fort Pierce, FL has a list of 48 Seals that lost their life in combat during the Vietnam War.
This was the beginning of the Navy SEALs. All Seals came from the Navy’s Underwater Demolition Teams, who had already gained extensive experience in commando warfare in Korea; however, the Underwater Demolition Teams were still necessary to the Navy’s amphibious force.
The first two teams were formed in January 1962 and stationed on both US coasts: Team One at Naval Amphibious Base Coronado, in San Diego, California and Team Two at Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek, in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Formed entirely with personnel from UDTs, the Seals mission was to conduct counter guerrilla warfare and clandestine operations in maritime and riverine environments.
Men of the newly formed SEAL Teams were trained in such unconventional areas as hand-to-hand combat, high-altitude parachuting, demolitions, and foreign languages. The Seals attended Underwater Demolition Team replacement training and they spent some time training in UDTs.
Upon making it to a SEAL team, they would undergo a SEAL Basic Indoctrination (SBI) training class at Camp Kerry in the Cuyamaca Mountains. After SBI training class, they would enter a platoon and conduct platoon training.
According to founding SEAL team member Roy Boehm, the SEAL’s first missions were directed against communist Cuba. These consisted of deploying from submarines and carrying out beach reconnaissance in prelude to a proposed US amphibious invasion of the island. On at least one occasion Boehm and another SEAL smuggled a CIA agent ashore to take pictures of Soviet nuclear missiles being unloaded on the dockside.
The Pacific Command recognized Vietnam as a potential hot spot for unconventional forces. At the beginning of 1962, the UDTs started hydrographic surveys and along with other branches of the US Military, the Military Assistance Command Vietnam (MACV) was formed.
In March 1962, SEALs were deployed to South Vietnam as advisors for the purpose of training Army of the Republic of Vietnam commandos in the same methods they were trained themselves.
The Central Intelligence Agency began using SEALs in covert operations in early 1963. The SEALs were involved in the CIA sponsored Phoenix Program where it targeted key North Vietnamese Army personnel and Vietcong sympathizers for capture and assassination.
The SEALs were initially deployed in and around Da Nang, training the South Vietnamese in combat diving, demolitions, and guerrilla/anti-guerrilla tactics. As the war continued, the SEALs found themselves positioned in the Rung Sat Special Zone where they were to disrupt the enemy supply and troop movements and in the Mekong Delta to fulfill riverine operations, fighting on the inland waterways.
SIGNED PHOTO TAKEN ON
AN ACTION IN COUNTRY 1969
ORIGINALLY PURCHASED IN WWII ITALY THIS
GOLD AND SILVER RING WITH CARVED TIGERS EYE
GREEK WARRIORS BELONGED TO
A SPECIAL FORCES SOLDIER IN VIETNAM
IT IS ENGRAVED ON ITS INTERIOR AND SHANK
Special Forces camp at Plei Me in 1965
THE BATTLE FOR PLEI ME SPECIAL FORCES CAMP 1965
CLICK ABOVE LINK
AWESOME 1ST CLASS WORK
TOP IS 10K GOLD
SHANK IS STERLING SILVER
YOU CAN SEE THE ENGRAVINGS
THERE ARE DATES ON THE SHANK THAT COINCIDE WITH EVENTS
STERLING AND 10KT GOLD
AWESOME PIECE TO BE A PART OF AN AWESOMEMILITARY WATCH BOX
WITHOUT A DOUBT IT IS THE COMPANION TO OUT RIVER RATS SEALS BOX
IT TOO HAS A RING. JEWELRY BEING THE ONLY ITEM WE CAN DSAY IS RARE
SOUTH VIETNAMESE SPECIAL FORCES
NOTE THE LIGHTING RODS
“River Patrol Team 51?
Vietnamese Navy (VNN)
RVNAF Amphibious Task Force
SOUTH VIETNAMESE MILITARY SCHOOL
DONG DE MILITARY ACADEMY NHA TRANG VIET NAM
The Republic of Vietnam Navy – VNN was the naval branch of the Republic of Vietnam’s Military Forces, the official military of the former Republic of Vietnam (or South Vietnam) from 1955 to 1975. The early fleet consisted of boats from France. After 1955 and the transfer of the armed forces to Vietnamese control, the fleet was supplied from the United States. With assistance from the U.S., the VNN became one of the world’s largest navies with 42,000 men and women and 672 amphibious ships and craft, 20 mine warfare vessels, 450 patrol craft, 56 service craft, and 242 junks.
The origins of the Viet Nam Navy (VNN) began in 1952 with the French Navy. In 1954, in accordance with the Elysee Accords, the French handed control of the armed forces to the Vietnamese, but at the request of the Vietnamese government, continued to be in charge of the Navy until 20 August 1955. By this time the Navy numbered about 2,000 personnel, with 22 vessels. The Vietnamese then received assistance in the development of the VNN from the United States Military Assistance Advisory Group.
In 1956, the North Vietnamese began infiltrating men and arms into the Republic of Vietnam’s territory by sea. In response the VNN created the Coastal Junk Force (Vietnamese: Luc Luong Hai Thuyen) of junks manned by Regional Irregular Forces and local fishermen recruited for the occasion, to patrol the waters around the Demilitarized Zone. The force later came to be known as Coastal Groups (Vietnamese: Duyen doan), and patrolled the entire 1,200-mile (1,900 km) coastline. This force was under the control of the regional military zone commands rather than the Navy, and was not incorporated into the VNN until 1965, by which time it numbered over 100 vessels.
Expansion of the VNN
Growth of the VNN Year Personnel Vessels
1955 2,000 22
1961 5,000 220
1964 8,100 ?
1967 16,300 639
1973 42,000 1,400
In the late-1950s the Vietnam Navy was being modernized and developed, receiving ships and training from the United States Navy. By 1961 the VNN had a force of 23 ships, the largest of which were LSMs, 197 boats, and 5,000 men. This was insufficient to counter the growing threat of enemy infiltration and the years 1962-1964 were marked by a rapid expansion; training facilities, repair bases, and support facilities were established; communications equipment and networks improved; and organization and administrative procedures strengthened. The number of ships increased to 44 and number of personnel to 8,100.
By the end of 1968 plans for the turnover of the majority of the United States Navy assets in Vietnam had been formulated. And by early 1969, President Richard M. Nixon formally adopted the policy of “Vietnamization”. The naval part, called ACTOV (“Accelerated Turnover to the Vietnamese”), involved the phased transfer to Vietnam of the U.S. river and coastal fleet, as well as operational command over various operations. In mid-1969, the VNN took sole responsibility for river assault operations when the U.S. Mobile Riverine Force stood down and transferred 64 riverine assault craft to the VNN. By the end of 1970, the U.S. Navy ceased all operations throughout South Vietnam, having transferred a total of 293 river patrol boats and 224 riverine assault craft to the VNN.
1970 and 1971 the United States also relinquished control of the coastal and high seas patrols to the VNN. The U.S. naval command also transferred four Coast Guard cutters, a destroyer escort radar picket ship, an LST, and various harbor control, mine craft, and support vessels. By August 1972, the VNN took responsibility for the entire coastal patrol effort when it took over the last 16 U.S. coastal radar installations.tate
River Patrol Force
SPECIAL FORCES CONTINUED TO ADVISE UNTIL 1972
As the Vietnamese Navy’s primary combat arm, the River Force was charged with operating with the army to defeat the enemy in the vital Mekong Delta. Recognizing the importance of this mission, the Naval Advisory Group worked to procure new and replacement craft. The River Force received hundreds of craft from 1965 to mid-1968, including specially configured LCM 6 and LCM 8 landing craft that served as monitors, command boats, troop transports, minesweeping boats, patrol vessels, and fuel barges. The United States also provided the river sailors with 27 American-built river patrol craft (RPC)
The acquisition of all the new craft enabled the Vietnamese Navy to create another seven river assault groups. However, six of the newer groups (28-33) operated with eight fewer craft than the normal complement of 19 river craft. The 27th RAG, a special formation, deployed 22 boats. Formed by the Vietnamese Navy in June 1968, River Patrol Group 51, contained the first eight PBRs turned over by the U.S. Navy and assigned duty on the Long Tau and Dong Nai rivers. The following month, the 32d RAG redeployed to Thua Thien north of Hue where it incorporated a six-boat detachment based there since May 1967. The other components of the River Force, the River Transport Group, until dissolved i
n March 1966, and the 28-boat River Transport Escort Group, added to the mobility and firepower
The great strategic and economic importance of South Vietnam’s extensive inland waterways made it clear from the beginning of the war that the Navy would be in the front rank of the allied forces. Laced by 3,000 nautical miles of rivers, canals, and smaller streams, the fertile Mekong Delta south of Saigon, where the largest segment of South Vietnam’s population lived, constituted the country’s rice bowl. Northward along the coast to the DMZ, sizable rivers stretched inland past vital population centers such as the old imperial capital of Hue. Throughout the country the road and rail system was rudimentary while the waterways provided ready access to the most important resources. The side that controlled the rivers and canals controlled the heart of South Vietnam. U.S. naval leaders were determined that allied forces would command these waterways when they established the River Patrol Force (Task Force 116) on 18 December 1965.
River Patrol Force Dispositions
River Division 51 Can Tho/Binh Thuy
River Division 52 Sa Dec (later Vinh Long)
River Division 53 My Tho
River Division 54 Nha Be River
Division 55 Danang
From then until March 1966, the Navy procured river patrol boats (PBR) in the United States, prepared the crews at the Coronado, California, and Mare Island, California, training centers, and deployed the units to Southeast Asia for Operation Game Warden. On 15 March 1966 the River Patrol Force was also designated River Patrol Squadron 5 for administrative and supply purposes. By 31 August 1968, the force consisted of five river divisions, each controlling two 10-boat sections that operated from combat bases along the major rivers or from ships positioned in the rivers. The Navy reconditioned each of the ships so they could serve as floating base facilities for a PBR section and a helicopter detachment.
The PBR, the ubiquitous workhorse of the River Patrol Force, was manned by a crew of four bluejackets, equipped with a Pathfinder surface radar and two radios, and commonly armed with two twin- mounted .50-caliber machine guns forward, M-60 machine guns (or a grenade launcher) port and starboard amidships, and a .50-caliber aft. The initial version of the boat, the Mark I, performed well in river patrol operations but was plagued with continual fouling of its water-jet engines by weeds and other detritus. In addition, when Vietnamese sampans came alongside for inspection they often damaged the fragile fiberglass hull of the PBRs. New Mark Iis, first deployed to the delta in December 1966, brought improved Jacuzzi jet pumps, which reduced fouling and increased speed from 25 to 29 knots, and more durable aluminum gunwales.
Task Force 116 also employed the experimental patrol air cushion vehicle (PACV), three of which operated in the Mekong Delta during 1966 and 1967 as PACV Division 107. During 1968, the PACVs deployed to the Danang area as Coastal Division 17. Although able to move with great speed over shallow, marshy areas, such as in the Plain of Reeds, the PACVs proved to be too noisy and too mechanically sophisticated for riverine war in South Vietnam. After the Tet emergency, the craft were shipped back to the United States for reevaluation.A key component of the Game Warden operation was its air support element. Initially, the Army deployed detachments of two UH-1B Iroquois helicopters and their crews to PBR bases and river-based LSTs. Beginning in August 1966, however, air crews from the Navy’s Helicopter Support Squadron 1 replaced the Army personnel. Then on 1 April 1967, the Navy activated Helicopter Attack (Light) Squadron (HAL) 3 at Vung Tau with responsibility for providing Task Force 116 with aerial fire support, observation, and medical evacuation. By September 1968, the 421-man “Seawolf” squadron controlled detachments of two helicopters each at Nha Be, Binh Thuy, Dong Tom, Rach Gia, Vinh Long, and on board three LSTs stationed in the larger rivers of the Mekong Delta. The Bell UH-1B “Hueys,” armed variously with 2.75-inch rockets; .50-caliber, 60-millimeter, and 7.62-millimeter machine guns; grenades; and small arms, were a powerful and mobile complement to the Game Warden surface units.
SOUTH VIETNAM PATCHES
The River Patrol Force commander led other naval forces, including the highly trained and skilled SEALs. By mid-1968, the 211-man SEAL Team 1, based at Coronado, fielded twelve 14-man platoons, each composed of two squads. Generally four or five of the platoons at any given time were deployed to South Vietnam, where one or two of them served with the special operations force in Danang and another three operated from Nha Be as Detachment GOLF in support of the Task Force 116 campaign in the Rung Sat Special Zone. Beginning in early 1967, the Atlantic Fleet’s SEAL Team 2 provided another three platoons, two of which were stationed with the Game Warden units at Can Tho. These units launched SEAL operations in the central delta area. Although focused primarily on the areas to the south and west of Saigon, the SEALs also mounted operations in the I and II Corps Tactical Zones.
These elite naval commando units carried out day and night ambushes, hit and run raids, reconnaissance patrols, salvage dives, and special intelligence operations. Normally operating in six-man squads, the SEALs used landing craft, SEAL team assault boats (STAB), 26-foot armored trimarans, PBRs, sampans, and helicopters for transportation to and from their target areas. Mobile, versatile, and extremely effective in their dangerous work, the SEALs were a valuable fighting force in the riverine environment of Vietnam.
Mine clearance forces also were essential to the security of Vietnam’s waterways. Nowhere was this more crucial than on the rivers near Saigon, the country’s most vital port. Viet Cong mining of the main shipping channel, the Long Tau River, which wound its way through the Rung Sat Special Zone south of the capital, could have had a devastating effect on the war effort. Consequently, on 20 May 1966, the Navy established Mine Squadron 11, Detachment Alpha (Mine Division 112 after May 1968) at Nha Be, under Commander Task Force 116. From 1966 until mid-1968, the minesweeping detachment operated 12 or 13 minesweeping boats (MSB) reactivated in the United States and shipped to Southeast Asia. The 57-foot, fiberglass-hulled vessels were armed with machine guns and grenade launchers and carried surface radar and minesweeping gear for clearing explosives from the key waterways. The Navy also deployed three-boat subordinate units to Danang and Cam Ranh Bay. Detachment Alpha’s strength increased in July 1967 when the first of six mechanized landing craft (LCM(M)) that were specially configured to sweep mines arrived at Nha Be.
Game Warden operations got underway in early 1966. Naval leaders set out to secure the vital water passages through the Rung Sat and to establish patrols on the large Mekong Delta rivers. On these latter waterways, the Viet Cong transported arms and supplies brought in from Cambodia, shifted guerrilla units, and taxed the population. The Navy created two separate task groups to direct operations in the respective areas.
NON GLARE NAVY MILITARY BUCKLE
1971 W/SS NUMBER
EAST GERMAN PEOPLES PARTY
Flag of the National People’s Army
National People’s Army (NPA) (German: Nationale Volksarmee – NVA), were the armed forces of the German Democratic Republicwas established in 1956 and disbanded in 1990. It did not see any significant combat though there were frequent reports of East German advisors working with communist African governments during the Cold War.The mobile forces were under the Warsaw Pact Unified Command. The NVA stood as a symbol of Soviet-East German solidarity and became the model Communist institution—ideological, hierarchical, and disciplined
VIETNAM AND AFGHANISTAN
With the end of the Second World War and the Soviet liberation of eastern Europe, the allied forces took administrative control of Germany. In Eastern Germany, Soviet forces remained and started to rebuild the economy and manufacturing. As a result, manufacturing plants and industries came under the control of the Soviet administration and thus the former clock and engine works of brothers Thiel GmbH Ruhla came under the control of the Soviet state enterprise Avtovelo.
In 1952, the enterprise was transferred to the new East German State and became the VEB Clock and Engine works Ruhla – VEB, Volkseigener Betrieb (an enterprise owned by the people). This was the legal form of industrial enterprise in East Germany.
n the early 1960s, as a response to this, Ruhla developed the caliber 24 design. The caliber 24 proved very successful and many variations were produced. Within a few years, production had reached 5 million units and virtually all materials and components were produced in-house.
Around 60% of production at VEB Ruhla was exported to western countries. In the Federal Republic (West Germany) Ruhla watches were sold through department stores and catalogue companies.
East Germany and the State department stores also produced catalogues that were popular from 1950s on in Most Communist Countries including China and the Soviet Union controlled market states.
Ruhla also exported movements to be cased-up in the Far East.
Though the USSR had their long term well operated watch factories, 20% of all Ruhla timers and watches were geared for military use. . Both Ruhla and Glashütte products were sold via this means.
East German Timer
The Vietnam People’s Army was first conceived in September 1944 at the first Revolutionary Party Military Conference as “armed propaganda brigades” to educate, recruit and mobilize the Vietnamese in order to create a main force to drive the French colonial and Japanese occupiers from Vietnam. Under the guidelines of Ho Chí Minh Vo Nguyen Giap was given the task of establishing the brigades and the Armed Propaganda Unit for National Liberation came into existence on December 22nd, 1944. The first formation was made up of thirty one men and three women, armed with two revolvers, seventeen rifles, one light machine gun, and fourteen breech-loading flintlocks.The group was renamed the “Vietnam Liberation Army” in May 1945. In September, the army was again renamed the “Vietnam National Defence Army.” At this point, it had about 1,000 soldiers. In 1950, it officially became the People’s Army of Vietnam.
MAP OF NVA &NVPA
Ðong Nai is a province in the Southeast region of Vietnam, located east and northeast of Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). The largest city in Ðong Nai is Biên Hòa. Prior to Vietnamese colonization, the area was part of Cambodia up until 1627. The area was known as Kâmpéap Srêkatrey in Khmer.
Ðong Nai Province is based essentially on the system of lakes, dams and rivers, of which Tri An Lake with 323 km² and over 60 rivers, rivulets and canals are very favorable for the development of a number of aquatic products: raft bred fish and shrimp. Nam Cát Tiên prohibited forest that has been recognized as the international bio reservation zone located on the north of Ðong Nai. From the mountainous area, Ðong Nai River, an inland waterway, flows southeast through Biên Hòa City, Ho Chi Minh City, and villages along its way. This river plays an important role on supplying fresh water for the whole area.
The capture of Biên Hòa on 16 December 1861 was an important allied victory in the Cochinchina campaign (1858–62). This campaign, fought between the French and the Spanish on the one side and the Vietnamese on the other, began as a limited punitive expedition and ended as a French war of conquest. The war concluded with the establishment of the French colony of Cochinchina, a development that inaugurated nearly a century of French colonial dominance in Vietnam.
Biên Hòa grew into a major suburb of Saigon as the capital city of South Vietnam grew. Following the First Indochina War, tens of thousands of refugees from the northern and central regions of Vietnam—a large portion of whom were Roman Catholics — resettled in Biên Hòa as part of Operation Passage to Freedom. During the Vietnam War, the United States Air Force operated Biên Hòa Air Base near the city. Mortar attacks on U.S. and ARVN targets were frequently staged from residential districts in Biên Hòa.
ALSO HAS INNER DUST MOISTURE CASE BACK
DIAL HAS SOME WEAR
HERE SHE IS OPERATING
WE AQUIRED THIS TIMER FROM AN ESTATE SALE
ALONG WITH THE PATCHES AND RIBBONS
THE ONLY OTHER SIMILAR TIMER
WAS ONE FROM AFGANISTAN
DURING THE RUSSIAN WAR PERIOD
IT IS OVERHAULED
THE MARKINGS ON DIAL ARE
PERMANENT THEY DID NOT FADE
WHEN DIAL WAS CLEANED
NO TELLING WHY
THIS FIELD TRANCH ART WAS ADDED
THE TWO MILITARY DISTRICT ,MAPS WERE DISCOVERED
AFTER RESEARCHING THE TWO NAMES
AC-47 at Nha Trang
NOTE THE PATCH IN THIS MWB BOX IS AN
ORIGINAL IN COUNTRY PATCH NOTE THE
LINES FOR THE PARACHUTE FLARES
PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON
AC-47 SPOOKY GUNSHIP
“Puff (The Magic Dragon),” folk’s most enduring children’s songs, rose on to the Billboard Top 10 in 1963
THE NAVY SEALS, GREEN BERETS AND MARINE CORPS TROOPS THAT WERE THE FIRST IN “THE NAM” NAMED THE DOUGLAS AC-47 “SPOOKY” “PUFF THE MAGIC DRAGON” FOR THE WAY ITS ATTACK WAS CONDUCTED. WITH A “PUFF” OF QUICKNESS THIS CLOSE SUPPORT AIR CRAFT COULD ELIMINATE THE ENEMY WITH NOTHING MORE THAN THE RAPID “PUFFS” OF .7.62 SHELLS
“Puff, the Magic Dragon”, the Douglas AC-47 “Spooky” gunship, was developed by the United States Air Force during the Vietnam War for additional fire power for the Marine Corps Ground and Water Way Operations. It also became a favorite utilized by both Green Beret and Navy Seals during Close Encounter Operations. When sure fire close support was required, Puff The Magic Dragon could clean our a jungle worth of the enemy without the need or advertisement of high explosives or napalm. A secret Seal or Green Beret operation that ran into trouble could see the enemy ground down literally to bits without the explosions that would deliver more of the enemy.
Based on the C-47, The AC-47 was a military version of the DC-3 modified by mounting three 7.62 mm General Electric miniguns to fire through two rear window openings and the side cargo door, all on the left (pilot’s) side of the aircraft. The pilot could simply fly over the area and conduct sweeps with the left side of the craft aimed at the jungle, rise paddy, base perimeter, or even close to a Platoon, Green Beret, or Seal Mission’s position. The guns were actuated by a control on the pilot’s yoke whereby he could control the guns either individually or together, the addition of gunners among the crew enabled the pilot to concentrate on his flying/shooting while the gun crew assisted with jamming, reloading, gun failures and similar issues. Able to orbit the target for hours, it could provide continuing suppressing fire over an elliptical area approximately 52 yd in diameter, placing a round every 2.4 yd (2.2 m) during a three-second burst. For night time operations, or attacks on bases, Puff, the Magic Dragon”carried parachute umbrella flares it would drop to illuminate the area, the wire, the perimeter or an entire battleground.
In the beginning of 1965, the first two of “Puff, the Magic Dragon” were so successful in live trials in Vietnam that the second aircraft was returned to the United States to provide crew training. In July 1965, Headquarters USAF ordered TAC to establish an AC-47 squadron. By November 1965, a total of five aircraft were operating with the 4th Air Commando Squadron, activated in August as the first operational unit, and by the end of 1965, a total of 26 had been converted.
The 4th ACS deployed to Tan Son Nhut Air Base, Vietnam, on 14 November 1965. Now using the call sign “Spooky”, each of its three 7.62 mm miniguns could selectively fire either 50 or 100 rounds per second. Cruising in an overhead left-hand orbit at 120 knots air speed at an altitude of 3,000 ft, it was said that the gunship could put a bullet or glowing red tracer (every fifth round) into every square yard of a football field-sized target in potentially less than 10 seconds And, as long as its 45-flare and 24,000-round basic load of ammunition held out, it could do this intermittently while loitering over the target for hours.”Puff, the Magic Dragon” in Vietnam would grow to 20 AC-47s (16 aircraft plus four reserves for attrition).
In May 1966, the squadron moved north to Nha Trang Air Base to join the newly activated 14th Air Commando Wing. The 3rd Air Commando Squadron was activated at Nha Trang on 5 April 1968 as a second AC-47 squadron, with both squadrons redesignated as Special Operations Squadrons on 1 August 1968. The miniguns were updated to MXU-470/A minigun modules in an AC-4. The 14th Air Commando unit was Awarded the Presidential Unit Citation to Wing in June 1968.
At the siege of Khe Sanh in early 1968, more than 24,000 tactical and 2700 B-52 strikes dropped 110,000 tons of ordnance in attacks that averaged over 300 sorties per day. During the two and a half months of combat in that tiny area, fighters were in the air day and night. Yet the most securing and comforting of all the aircraft were the AC-47 gunships. They kept up a constant chatter of fire against enemy troops. During darkness, it was the AC-47 gunships that provided illumination against enemy troops.. Read A Street Without Joy and the Dien Bien Phu story. They reached a point that flares could not be dropped and the night belonged to the NVA and VC.
53 aircraft were converted to AC-47 configuration, 41 served in Vietnam and 19 were lost to all causes, 12 in combat. No village or hamlet under Spooky Squadron protection was ever lost, and a plethora of reports from civilians and military personnel were made about AC-47s coming to the rescue and saving their lives.
Variants of the AC-47 based on various iterations of the airframe including the BT-67, have been used by Laos, Columbia, Indonesia, Cambodia, South Africa, El Salvador, and Rhodesia, to name just a few, and with a variety of weapons configurations including Gattling guns of numerous types, various medium and heavy machine guns, and larger autocannon (South African “Dragon Daks” were known to fit 20 mm cannons). The Republic of China Air Force (Taiwanese Air Force) also converted some of its C-47s to gunships. These machines were armed with M2 machine guns.
NAVY – MARINES
ORIGINAL RACK & RIBBONS
HAS BOTH NAVY AND MARINE GOOD CONDUCT
The Vietnam Service Medal (VSM) is an award of the United States Armed Forces established in 1965 by order of President Lyndon B. Johnson. The medal is issued to recognize military service during the Vietnam War and is authorized to service members in every branch of the U.S. Armed Forces, provided they meet the qualification criteria.The Vietnam Service Medal is presented to any service member who served on temporary duty for more than 30 consecutive days, or 60 non-consecutive days, attached to or regularly serving for one, or more, days with an organization participating in or directly supporting ground (military) operations or attached to or regularly serving for one, or more, days aboard a naval vessel directly supporting military operations in the Republic of Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos within the defined combat zone between the dates of November 15, 1961 and March 28, 1973, and from April 29, 1975 to April 30, 1975 For the United States Navy, vessels operating in Vietnamese waters qualify for the Vietnam Service Medal provided that the naval vessel was engaged in direct support of Vietnam combat operations. The United States Air Force also grants the Vietnam Service Medal exclusively to flight crews that flew missions over Vietnamese air space, even if the home base of the flight mission was hundreds of miles away requiring in flight refueling.
The Good Conduct Medal is one of the oldest military awards of the United States Armed Forces. The U.S. Navy’s variant of the Good Conduct Medal was established in 1869, the Marine Corps version in 1896, the Coast Guard version in 1923, the Army version in 1941, and the Air Force version in 1963; the Air Force Good Conduct Medal was discontinued from February 2006 to February 2009. The ribbon rack in this box represents the US NAME AND MARINE CORPS. there was also an additional vietnam combate ribbon given to all soldiers incountry when they participated in an action. It was actually an award from the SOUTH VIETNAM GOVERNMENT AND APPROVED BY THE US. It was utilized in a Green Beret Box before this SEAL-SUPPORT AND TRAINING BOX was even thought of. So, the original rack and ribbons ids as was excepting the introduction of the good conducy ribons. It can be either ubit, the NAVY OR MARINE CORPS.
Sea Service Deployment Ribbon
A Sea Service Ribbon is an award of the United States Navy, United States Marine Corps which recognizes those service members who have performed military duty while stationed on a United States Navy vessel at sea and/or members of the Navy, Marine Corps who have been forward-deployed with their home unit.. Additional awards of the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, Naval Reserve Sea Service Ribbon are denoted by bronze and/or silver service stars on the ribbon.
The Navy Expeditionary Medal is a military award of the United States Navy first created in August 1936 by General Orders of the Department of the Navy. “The medal will be awarded,” reads the Orders, “to the officers and enlisted men of the Navy who shall have actually landed on foreign territory and engaged in operations against armed opposition, or operated under circumstances which, after full consideration, shall be deemed to merit special recognition and for which service no campaign medal has been awarded. The Navy Expeditionary Medal is retroactively authorized to February 12, 1874. THE Navy Expeditionary Medal: Since 1961, some Navy commands have permitted service members to choose between the Navy Expeditionary Medal and the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for participation in certain operations. Both awards may not be bestowed simultaneously for the same action. DURING VIETNAM, THIS MEDAL WAS CHOSEN AFTER A SOLDIER HAD ALREADY RECEIVED THE ARMED FORCES EXPEDITIONARY MEDAL.
Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation
The Meritorious Unit Commendation (MUC) is a mid-level unit award of the United States military which is awarded to any military command which displays exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding service, heroic deeds, or valorous action. Navy and Marine Corps Unit Commendation was established by order of the Secretary of the Navy on July 17, 1967. The ribbon is awarded in the name of the Secretary of the Navy to units of the U.S. Navy, United States Marine Corps, and United States Coast Guard members when operating as part of the U.S. Navy, such as Operation Market Time during the Vietnam war.To be eligible for the award, the unit must have performed service of a character comparable to that which would merit the award of a Bronze Star Medal in a combat situation, or achievement of like caliber in a non-combat situation, to an individual.
the navy e medal
The Navy “E” [Battle Efficiency Ribbon] Ribbon was designed by AZ3 Cynthia L. Crider in 1973..The Battle Efficiency Ribbon, Navy “E” Ribbon, or (informally) the Battle “E” ribbon [IT WAS ALREADY PART AND PORTION AS AN AWARD WORN ON THE RIGHT SLEEVE] was established in July 1976 by Secretary of the Navy J. William Middendorf. The Navy “E” Ribbon denotes permanent duty on U.S. Navy ships, squadrons, or units (including construction battalions) that have won a battle efficiency competition (Battle “E”) after July 1, 1974. This ribbon replaces the “E” patch previously sewn on the right sleeve of the enlisted naval uniform for pay grades E-1 through E-6. United States Marine Corps personnel assigned as ship’s company are eligible. The Navy “E” award does not have a corresponding medal, the Navy “E” is placed above the right breast pocket of the uniform instead of the left. However, when in standard uniform (no medals are worn), the ribbon is placed above the left breast pocket, along with all other citations and awards.
THE MARINE CORPS VENERABLE CRUSADERS/WEREWOLVES
|Active||March 1, 1942–present|
|Country||United States of America|
|Branch||United States Marine Corps|
|Role||Close air support
|Part of||Marine Aircraft Group 31
2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
|Garrison/HQ||Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort|
|Nickname||Werewolves (January, 2008-present)
Crusaders (1957-January 4, 2008)
“The Last Blue Collar Squadron”
|Engagements||World War II
* Battle of New Georgia
Operation Desert Storm
Operation Iraqi Freedom
Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 122 (VMFA-122) is a United States Marine Corps F/A-18 Hornet squadron. The squadron, known as the “Werewolves”, is based out of Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, South Carolina and fall under the command of Marine Aircraft Group 31 (MAG-31) and the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing (2nd MAW). Their traditional call sign is “Nikel”. Their mascot, known as Mach Altus (after the Mach number and the Latin word for high), is a statue of a Crusades-era knight. The mascot of VMFA-122 “Mach Altus” has since been given away by Captain Peters and is currently MIA with all parties claiming ignorance, nulling a greater than 50 year tradition. Mach Altus (official VMFA-122 website). Conduct anti-air warfare and offensive air support operations in support of Fleet Marine Forces from advance bases, expeditionary airfields, and aircraft carriers, and to conduct such other air operations as may be directed.
World War II
Marine Fighter Squadron 122 (VMF-122) was commissioned on March 1, 1942 at Camp Kearny in San Diego, California. Outfitted with the F4F Wildcat, the squadron, then known as the “Candystripers”, saw their first combat tour in October 1942. During this tour they were part of the Cactus Air Force at Henderson Field and also operated out of Espiritu Santo. In April 1943, while under the command of Major Pappy Boyington, the squadron transitioned to the F4U Corsair and accounted for 35½ kills. Beginning in October 1944 they began operating from an airstrip on Peleliu providing close air support for Marines during the Battle of Peleliu with napalm and rockets and greatly aided in the destruction of the last Japanese strongholds on the island.
November 1947, flying the FH Phantom, they became the first Marine squadron to employ jet-propelled aircraft. During this time, the squadron fielded the first and only Marine aerial demonstration team known as the “Flying Leathernecks” and toured the country for two years.
1966 ONTO VIETNAM
F-4B at MCAS El Toro, 1966
In January of 1965 they transitioned to the F-4B Phantom and were redesignated VMFA-122. They deployed to the Republic of Vietnam in August 1967 and operated from the airbase at Danang.The squadron flew 2540 sorties and delivered 4800 tons of ordnance. In February 1968, while supporting Marines during the Siege of Khe Sahn the squadron flew 629 sorties and dropped 1300 tons of ordnance. They rotated to Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni in September 1968 and returned to Vietnam during the summer of 1969, this time operating from Chu Lai.
Navy Unit Commendation
with three Bronze Stars
Vietnam Service Streamer
Iraq Campaign Streamer
Global War on Terrorism
Global War on Terrorism
7 August – 9
15 September 1944 –
US AMMO POUCH
WHEN THE FIRST ADVISOR/FIGHTERS –NAMELY THE GREEN BERET AND NEWELY FORMED SEALS — WERE OFICIALLY IN-COUNTRY, THE US MILITARY SUPPLIED THEM WITH WWII/KOREAN EQUIPMENT AND AMMUNITION. TO CELIBRATE THIS FACT THREE ROUNDS MINUS THEIR CHARGES ARE INCLUDED. EPOXY WAS UTILIZED TO KEEP THE BULLET AT THE TOP OF THE SHELL. THE FIRIG CHARGES WERE NOT REMOVED OR ACTUATED.
Tthe .30-06 became one of the most popular military and sporting cartridges in the world, being manufactured in almost fifty countries. IN FACT THE FIRST SNIPER RILES USED BY BOTH GREE BERET AND SEAL FORCES WAS THE M1903 Springfield Caliber .30-06..
As well as being manufactured all over the world, the .30-06 was the official U.S. rifle and light machine gun cartridge through two World Wars, the Korean and THE EARLY SPECIAL FORCES ERA IN Vietnam
M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle [BAR] standard issue in the U.S. Army 1938 saw extensive service in both World War II and the Korean War and Vietnam War.
Nearly all United States-VIETNAM allied forces were armed with U.S. weapons, some of which, such as the M1 Carbine, were substitute standard weapons dating from World War II.
M1917 Browning machine gun – A .30cal heavy machine gun issued to some machine gunners in the South Vietnamese Army and also in limited use by the US Army.
M1918A2 Browning Automatic Rifle – Issued to troops during the early stages of the VIETNAM war, but was replaced by the Stoner 63 and M60 machine guns.
M1919 Browning machine gun – Was used on platforms such as boats, Jeeps, and tanks early in the VIETNAM war, but was replaced by the M2 .50cal.
The M1 carbine (formally the United States Carbine, Caliber .30, M1) is a lightweight, easy-to-use semi-automatic carbine that became a standard firearm for the U.S. military during World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War, and was produced in several variants. It was widely used by U.S. and foreign military, paramilitary and police forces, and has also been a popular civilian firearm.
The M1903 Springfield, formally the United States Rifle, Caliber .30-06, Model 1903, was officially adopted as a United States military bolt-action rifle on June 19, 1903, and saw service in World War I. The M1903 Springfield remained in service as a sniper rifle during World War II, the Korean War, and even in the early stages of the Vietnam War.irearm, historical collector’s piece, and as a military drill rifle.
THESE ARE FROM A 200 ROUND BELT
I COULD NOT HELP GETTING SOME APPOXY ON THE SHELLS
The headstamp SL 42 is that of the St. Louis Ordnance Plant in Missouri, the “43? is the year of production. … firearms and/or ammunition
Marine All-Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 242
|Active||July 1, 1943 – November 23, 1945
October 1, 1960 – present
|Role||Close air support
|Part of||Marine Aircraft Group 12
1st Marine Aircraft Wing
|Garrison/HQ||Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni|
|Motto||“Mors Ex Tenebris”
“Death from the Darkness”
|Engagements||World War II
* Battle of Saipan
* Battle of Tinian
* Battle of Iwo Jima
‘Operation Iraqi Freedom
* Operation Phantom Fury
In late 1966, VMA(AW)-242 joined the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing at Da Nang Air Base, Republic of Vietnam and by November of that year, was participating in combat operations against the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese Army. Initially the squadron supported allied ground forces, but during April 1967, the Bats were also assigned to the first of many Operation Rolling Thunder missions (deep strikes) over North Vietnam.
The squadron, utilizing the unique capabilities of the A-6, flew patrols over North Vietnam until the bombing halt late in 1968. Until the squadron’s departure from Vietnam on September 8, 1970, the Bats continued supporting allied forces in South Vietnam, as well as flying sorties against the Ho Chi Minh Trail in North Vietnam and central Laos.
During the squadron’s tour in the Republic of Vietnam, VMA(AW)-242 logged 16,783 combat sorties and delivered 85,990 tons of ordnance. During the Vietnam War, the squadron was known as the Batmen. At some date after the war this was modified to the Bats.
1981 MARINE CORP BUCKLE
COMPLETE HISTORY ON REVERSE
SUPER DETAILED CAST IN BRONZE